Re: [dvd-discuss] Posner's views on copyright

As you might guess from my own arguments on the matter,while I
am not dismissing the value of the richness of the public domain
(which has anyone noticed that the "count of monte cristo" has just
gotten yet another facelift) but from a utilitarian viewpoint, the
public domain is a not something that can be valued, it is
something that MUST exist for any copyright system except one
that is a publishers monopoly that exists and is unchanging ad
infinitum. That experiment was tried once and was shown to be a
failure and abolished with the statutes of Anne.  Or one can go
back even further to the Middle Ages where monasteries had the
monopoly. I'm sorry but the world has truly been better off than
under either of these institution.

Given that there IS change. There is loss of information over time
as companies merge, go into and out of business and as the sheer
amount of recordkeeping increases (remember that the amount of
records is the accumulation of all that has gone on before. If
copyright grows quadratically in time, then the total number grows
cubicly.) that errors in accounting will occur almost surely. So
eventually one winds up with large numbers of things that one
doesn't know what to do with but must spend time dealing with it.
The public domain is the needed to simply keep the administration
of it managable by simply systematically ignoring it - "it's outta
copyright". IN effect from a systems viewpoint, the public domain
must exist to allow to keep the complexity of the system
managable. (and let's not forget the view point that as systems
become more complex, they also get more and more random
behaviour when confronted with "unusual" inputs.)

NOt that I expect Posner to understand this. I'm not impressed
with his paper on obesity