Re: RE: [dvd-discuss] [openlaw] Government takes more extremelineins econd"Eldred" case

I haven't located the Economics of Copyright but Posner's got a very
interesting paper on his website

 http://home.uchicago.edu/~rposner/

"The Long-Run Growth in Obesity as a Function of Technological Change"

"We argue that there are important economic reasons for this
long-run growth in obesity. Technological change has both lowered
the cost of intake of calories and raised the cost of expending
calories, hence contributing in two ways to the rise in obesity. The
technologically induced rise in obesity offers many predictions, such
as a natural interpretation of such puzzling phenomena as that obesity
has grown even though there has been little or no increase in
calorie consumption, and indeed a rise in exercising and dieting."

later

"The individual is below his ideal weight if the price of calories
(p) is high relative to his preference for food (b). The amount overor
underweight will depend on how much he cares about his weight
(a) and the impact of calorie consumption on weight (d). Clearly the
optimal weight is often different from the ideal weight."

<jerwin@gmu.edu>
01/11/02 10:39 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss