Re: [dvd-discuss] Golan v Ashcroft: to "Secure for limited times"

I read Golan v. Ashcroft over breakfast this morning. It is quite
devastating. In Eldred v. Ashcroft, the court can dance around the
issue of damages but not in Golan.The Ps have already suffered
demonstratable damages already. The damages are clearly
FINANCIAL as well as substantive (so the "where's the beef?"
Ashcroft argument is PBS).  I don't want this to sound cynical but
this case is almost a posterchild for the evils of copyright
extension. My guess is that the courts may perform the same
dance WRT to the SB/MM Extension Act and not accept the .002
interpretation of limited times does not mean merely finite. They
may compromise and rule that the term extension is valid  for
works published before the enactment of the act (and may have to
take judicial note that they should have done this in the 11 previous
extensions but since the times were so short, the matter would
right itself before the matter could get to the USSC.)

Actually one thing puzzled me is the fact that Golan v Ahscroft
didn't make use of the fact the limited times are for authors. One
can argue that an term extension to a copyright that is held by the
AUTHOR might possibly be constitutional (I will NOT. An extension
gratis does not promote progress PERIOD. AN extension that
required the authors to republish or take a tax break on giving it to
the public domain MAYBE but GRATIS. NFW). By the wording in
the constitution, an extension granted to the holder of a copyright
that is not the original author is unconstitutional. The argument that
the large monopolies and trusts can dispense patronage as the pre
Statute of Anne booksellers did is PBS.