Re: [dvd-discuss] The power of a click

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 12:11, Tom wrote:

> get your facts straight, will you? decss.exe as published by 2600 is a
> windos executable. source code was released later. after the california
> trial had started, prior to the NY trial. 2600 probably linked to those
> source code versions, too. but the computer program known as decss is a
> windos binary.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Kaplan's ruling and the subsequent
backing of the appeals court forbid distribution of the source code
despite it's expressive nature because it was "functional"?  The court
could have ruled that the compiled code was forbidden but source code
was not, but they didn't.  While the "one-click" standard could make
sense in the context of the excutable windows binary, it doesn't for the
source code.

---Steve