Re: [dvd-discuss] two articles

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Noah silva wrote:

> I don't see what the second case has to do with trademark at all.  If they
> were actually Levi jeans.. then there was no trademark violation IMO.

"  Siding with Levi Strauss & Co. in its three-year battle with
   supermarket chain Tesco, the European Court of Justice upheld an EU
   law requiring that trademark holders must give clear consent before
   their goods can be imported and sold within the 18-member European
   Economic Area."

In other words, the corporate world has managed to get a law passed in the EU
that says that only *they* are allowed to say who can and can't import their
products.

Can you say "restraint of trade"?

It's what they tried to do with DVDs and region coding: divide up the world
into territories, and forbid people in each of those territories from buying
the exact same product from another territory, so they can maximize the price
(/profit) for each region.