Re: [dvd-discuss] MovieMask - I'm sure the lawsuit is on itsway

Bryan Taylor wrote:

> This is a fantastic example of the kind of fair use that requires circumvention
> tools. Who can argue that you should not be allowed to strip the profanity out
> of
> an R rated movie so that little Johnie can watch it.

Hear, hear... now THIS is something both moral conservatives like Orin
Hatch and "pro-family-leave" social liberals can agree on  What's great
about this is seeing JackBoots squirmly try to defend the fundamental
right of Hollywood to preserve the artistic integrity of gratuitous,
sex, violence, and profanity.  Sure adults should be able to watch what
they want, but they should also be allowed (they are in fact morally
required) to make "age appropriate" judgement on the material they
provide to their children.

Beautiful case in point.  Having seen bits of "Spaceballs" on TV... we
rented it... mistake (our youngest is 9).  Mel Brook's is (IMHO) a comic
genius, but including "f*ck" in the middle of a moving with a
10-year-old comic sensibilities and appeal makes no sense (and since
this was in the pre PG13 days where one use of "f*ck" moves the rating
from PG to PG-13 (as does any frontal nudity up to 15? secs (30?) --
c.f. Doc. Hollywood) ) came without warning to us.  The kids themselves
were unconfortable and I was quite unhappy.  No when we see a Mel Brooks
film on broadcast TV, I pay a lot more attention to (and more often
reject) home rental.

Hmmm, if this were about market expansion and satisfy customers
*instead* of attempting total control, the MPA should be in favor of
this.  Adding "for the purpose copyright infringment" to the "primarily
designed" language should fix all this.  It would also achieve Schniers
suggest balance... "virus kits" for script kiddies -- not okay
"demonstration exploits" -- okay.  AEPBR -- okay -- cracking B&N
eCommerce payment and download system NOT okay.  Cracking DivX, not okay
-- cracking DeCSS okay. Making a backup of software -- OKAY, stealling
the software or posting it on a WAREZ site... NOT okay.

Just five little words to add to "circumvention" -- "circumvention ...
for purpose of copyright infringment"  would fix it all

.005 (in honor of my 5 words)