Re: [dvd-discuss] MovieMask - I'm sure the lawsuit is on its way

At 11:31 PM 11/14/01 +0100, Tom wrote:
>does anyone remember that this very idea - creating just navigation
>info and making that available for download - was discussed on this
>very list? that was quite a while ago, long enough for a reader of the
>list to turn it into a product...

I hope it was long enough ago to block a patent application :-)

The copyright challenge will be very interesting.  (I agree it's
inevitable.)  Is this the Lewis Galoob Game Genie, that never "fixes" a
derivative work?  or the Microstar v. Formgen "map file" that creates a
derivative from the movie's story?  I'd like to say it's yet another filter
that users can interpose between the original work and their viewing of it,
but my suspicion is that the movie studios won't see it that way.

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@seltzer.com
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School