RE: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

It was never guaranteed that authors and inventors would make a profit;
the deal that society made was that they were just given the first
opportunity to do so before it reverted back to the public.  If they
don't like the deal, then keep it a trade secret and use it until
someone figures out how they did it or discovers for themselves.  Notice
that I said 'back', they never 'owned' the idea, they just had a limited
lease on its use.  They of necessity built upon the ideas of others. Sir
Isaac Newton said it best "If I have seen farther than others, it is
because I was standing on the shoulders of giants".  Not that I would
characterize Disney productions as works of a giant (maybe a dwarf), but
the reasoning holds true.

I don't begrudge authors and inventors their right to make a living of
their work; I do object to the reasoning that they have a right to it
for 5 generations.

Your first statement would almost support either the same or shorter
terms for copyright than for patents.  I remember reading that the
founders (I looking for the references now) never intended for an idea
to be held in a monopoly. They never intended for someone to be able to
secure a patent or copyright on an idea; only the unique expression of
the idea such as an invention or a book.  A least not until recently,
that had held true.  How allowing a patent on a business process or on a
naturally occurring gene sequence (I realize that really started in the
'70s) promotes the arts and sciences requires such twisted thinking that
I have a hard time getting my mind around it.  I'm an engineer; I had a
easier time with string theory than following the reasoning behind this
decision (and many others).  Maybe I need to go to law school to learn
how to string together irrational and illogical ideas ;-)

Please pardon the intended and unintended puns - I realize that they are
the lowest form of humor and a sign of a sick mind but I just can't seem
to stop myself.