Re: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

While I tend to agree with your reasoning per se and the goals-50 is an
upper bound. 28 is probably a lower bound. Regardless of what's a good
term, your arguments demonstrate the fallacy of the current terms-reductio
ad absurdum.

I'm beginning to suspect how Macauley came up with 42. He could see what
14 and 28yrs did. Figured extending it was needed and then tacked on
another of the original terms. I'm beginning to suspect that 50 yrs was
chosen as sort of "Come on now.NOBODY can possibly want copyrighth to
extend beyond 50yrs do if we set it at 50yrs we won't ever have to fix
this problem again!"...it may have been a bribe and political
expediency...but they never counted upon corporate greed in the
"information age".  I don't suppose that WIPO has even considered the
Statutes of Anne....

As for Disneyization...the "Hunchback" has been in the public domain for
decades( translations are available too. My copy was published in teh 19th
century. ) except the French has a law regarding defamation of cultural
heritage and that was certainly that.  While I think the French Law may be
a bit extreme, I hope they banned the Disney Hunchback there.   I refuse
to watch any Disney film past the original "jungle book" and that's my
lower bound for Disney works.

"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
11/12/01 08:32 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss