Re: (Fwd) Re: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

John,

I'm having a hard time parsing your first paragrah. Good thing it is
the weekend!   ;-)  ... BTW what is =:-)? Smiley face with Mohawk?

Aside from the time limits on the new digital books they are selling
to dental students, the information is still available no matter what
the copyright term. It's a question of price and availability of copies
or derivative works (those I tend to discount. Imitation does not
enrich as much as originality.). But I see the point you are getting
at-the term must be such that the work is passed on freely to
another generation or during the time of that generation at least.
Balancing against that has been the bribe to the author in term.
From your arguments, 50 yrs is an upperbound and I agree. Little
progress can be gained by any term beyond that, (profits on
Hemmingway and Gershwin's estates be hanged). 28 Seems to be
a lower bound. Mybe Macauley's 42 is truly an inspired
compromise....I think I'll reread Macauley. His thoughts on
copyright transcend...as does Jefferson and Madison. <pondering>

 The question may resolve itself on utility grounds as with patent.
Technical works have somewhat more utility than literary-yet they
require more time to prepare (aside from one mathematician who
writes books before going to bed. They read like it too.). <more
pondering>

As an aside the time limits on CDROMSs scares the crap out of
me. "Oh...you've got a twisted root canal, I wanted to refresh my
memory from my textCD but it expired yesterday...so let's get on
with it..."  If you ever have to have a root canal on a twisted one, be
prepared for mulitple sessions and lots of pain. I got on a flight less
than 2 hrs after the preliminary work. When I told the stewardess
that the cognac I ordered was not for pleasure I had just had a
partial root canal she gave me a double before take-off after asking
what my prescription was. She was a dental assistant also!) I can't
see that time limits on medical or dental texts on CDROM is in the
public interest!

TWIX says that...I'm glad I've given up on Network TV.