Re: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

Here's a twist on this thread. Consider the Data Encryption Standard(DES).
18yrs ago, my first job, I was given to the task of understanding the
algorithms to assist an engineer in coding it up on an 8080. What I
discovered was that the pieces of the DES were ridiculously simple to
program in BAL 370 (didn't know 8080 only BAL370) but a total mess in 8080
with its 8bit registers. All you needed was a couple of 32 bit registers
and some memory. Lots of shift left/right logicals of register X number of
bits in register Y read from memory. But the point is that in BAL 370, the
DES became simple, easy to understand and instructive. It became clear
that who ever had done the search for the S and P boxes used a computer to
search for them and I didn't discover for several years that DES was
invented by IBM-Duhhhhhh. While not "1"s and "0"s, the assembler is
identical to that and in this instance conveyed more information about DES
than source code would have because it gave insight into how the
underlying state machine worked directly. I didn't need an abstract
representation of the register - I had the REAL representation of it.

So here' an example where ASM is better than source for communicating
ideas. Also, consider whether or not my BAL 370 code of DES is worthy of
copyright protection. I'd bet money that had I finished it, my BAL370
would look nearly identical to the one IBM wrote while developing DES.

"Peter D. Junger" <junger@samsara.law.cwru.edu>
11/05/01 09:43 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss