RE: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

Good perspective. THe win is on protecting source code as speech-which is
a big one What I think is that the courts have not considered the
implications of excluding object.  The court did recognize that object
code does NOT convey as much as source code but then neither does
disassembling a mechanical clock provide as much information on the clock
as having a set of blueprints with precise measurements and assembly
instruction. To promote progress, some form of protection for executable
code is needed to prevent "piracy" (but has all that really hurt M$ or the
MPAA or RIAA members?) but is copyright the correct means? I don't know
but the implications of the exclusion start to get pretty interesting as
the discussion on DVDs as software have been here. N.Wirth : "Algorithms +
Data Structures = Programs" has been the approach for some time. It's been
easy to separate the two. "Algorithms + Data structures + VB macros +
microcode +.....+ h.o.t.s. = Programs"...it's blurred the distinction
technically to the point that excluding object code has bizarre
consequences (Windows eXtra Putrid has no copyright protection?)

Bryan Taylor <bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com>
11/05/01 03:58 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss