Re: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

The problem with the concept that it's copyrighted as soon as it is
written down is that nobody know that. In physics if it can't be observed
it isn't "physical". Ditto for copyright.  It's also hard to argue that
the full range of copyright protection should be extended to private
scribblings. Now maybe a use for the UTSA would be to prosecute somebody
who steals a manuscript using it.

As for published.....well lets see. It has been disseminated to a small
number of people and the DVD-discuss archive WAS being made available on
the Internet at OPENLAW.ORG. Granted it didn't get distribution in a
bookstore by a commeercial publisher but what more does it need. A book
run is about 2500 copies I think. How many hits does open law get daily? I
guess the question is that even though it's not deposited with the office,
it would seem to be published.

"Peter D. Junger" <junger@samsara.law.cwru.edu>
11/05/01 10:22 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss