RE: [dvd-discuss] Support for Eldred Vs Ashcroft in Brunner.

My appologies. My writing was awful. I did not mean that trade secret is
subordinate but if I read this correctly the court is suggesting that the
durations of legal protection for a disclosed trade secret should NOT be
for unlimited times since the copyright is in the public good but the
ownership of a trade secret is not. The key idea is the public good. A
trade secret is merely for private gain (BTW-benefits to the economy are
irrelevant. Nobody says you have to cook your chicken as the Colonel
did...well actually KFC doesn't anymore either!) and so should not provide
better protection than copyright, patent, or trademark.

WRT to Eldred vs. Ashcroft...albeit a minor point but a "compromised"
trade secret enjoys unlimited times via UTSA and is not in the public
interest but copyright must be limited. That seems to be a contradiction.
Of course, this is a weak argument because Mary Bono's answer is "FOREVER
less a day". Maybe the more proper place for that argumnet is in Brunner
and a challenge to the UTSA being overbroad in remedies that upset the
proper balance.

Richard Hartman <hartman@onetouch.com>
11/05/01 10:09 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss