RE: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

Well my personal guieline for what constitutes a program is simple, I
divide it into three areas:

a.) Data (Gif files, text files, wavs files, etc.)
b.) Scripts (VBA, Javascript, shell scripts, DOS Batch files, etc.)
c.) executable code (ELF executables, .EXE files, etc.)

This helps the situation somewhat... although it isn't perfect.
Newer processors use microcode, etc. to transform EXEs somewhat
(expecially transmeta ones!).  Operating systems also perform run-time
linking, location fix-ups, etc.

But still, if a file contains instructions that can be executed on the
hardware (a general purpose processor) (wether or not they use an
operating system), it is a "program" in a real sense.  If the
"Program" requires a run-time system other than the operating system
(meaning excel, paradox, lotus notes, etc.), it may not be a program.

In my definition, the C code isn't a program until it's compiled.

This definition has kept my IT department off my back for a while.  (I
have to explain why I need "real" programming languages instead us using
excel, etc. for everything).

 -- noah silva