Re: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

I think you guys may be missing the point. It appears the defendant
in Barr-Mullin v. Browning didn't claim he reverse engineered the
software, he claimed the he could have RE'd it and therefore it was
not a trade secret.  Many, if not most, technology secret are
susceptible to reverse engineering.  For the defendant's reasoning to
stand I think he would have to show that de-compiling software is so
easy that the sale of object code is tantamount to publishing the
source. I think it was reasonable for the judge to conclude that it
wasn't that easy.

I don't think a traditional reverse engineering defense would be
available to the original author of the code, even if he could show
he de-compiled a purchased copy when he went to his new employer. It
would be hard to believe that the knowledge he gained at his original
employer didn't aid his efforts.

Arnold Reinhold