Re: [dvd-discuss] aibopet.com

As with Felton, when taken to court, the court may rule that the DMCA may
NOT have anything to do with aibopet.com but is used as a club in the
meantime....

http://aibohack.com/letter2.htm

"However, your site still contains information providing the means to
circumvent AIBO-ware's copy
protection protocol constituting a violation of the anti-circumvention
provisions of the Digital
Mellennium Copyright Act."

As you point out, he's posting SONY software <I agree. Rather than posting
their code he should have posted the patches>and that would seem to be
copyright infringement. But it is Software that SONY gives away, or rather
one purchases with little Aibo and can only be run on little Aibo....the
other week Jeme made some interesting observations about copyright
protection of executables and this development adds another dimension to
this. The "intent", albeit misguided, of the DMCA is to allow TPMs to
prevent piracy-use technology to prevent piracy. OK what do we have
here....It isn't piracy we have here. It's the ability to create
derivative works. "disco aibo" is a derivative work NOT created by SONY.
SONY is using the DMCA club to stiffle derivative works.

Bryan Taylor <bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com>
10/28/01 07:10 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss