Re: [dvd-discuss] aibopet.com

Bryan Taylor writes:

> --- Noah silva <nsilva@atari-source.com> wrote:
> > the next DMCA victim.
>
> I saw the Slashdot article, but I don't know anything about this product. What
> does a robotic pet have to do with copyright?
>
> It sounded like the guy was posting software that violated Sony's ordinary
> copyright, but I don't see what the DMCA has to do with anything.

It might be a notice-and-takedown thing, but there was also some
mention of copy protection on memory sticks.

http://www.google.com/search?q=memory-stick+copy-protection

shows lots of items attesting that the Memory Stick format does
support copy protection -- in some versions -- but nothing much in the
way of news about its effects, or whether or how people have been
circumventing it.

The two short bits from Sony's letter about circumvention:

	(ii) your site provides the means to circumvent the copy
	protection protocol of Sony's AIBO(tm) Memory Stick(tm) to
	allow access to Sony AIBO-ware software [...]

	Similarly, your response regarding the copy protection protocol
	does not justify your actions.  Your discontinuation of "Format
	AIBO" is certainly a step in the right direction.  However, your
	site still contains information providing the means to
	circumvent AIBO-ware's copy protection protocol constituting a
	violation of the anti-circumvention provisions of the Digital
	Mellennium Copyright Act.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull