RE: [dvd-discuss] e: portscanning

Here's the problem, if you consider unauthorized access along the lines of
B&E, logically a portscan is casing the joint.  Casing is often illegal,
but there's hardly any prosecution for casing because of the practical
impossibilities in prosecuting someone casing: how do you say that the
person wasn't actually looking over the house in order to check out the
architect's work?  So by the same token, who's to say that a portscan by
me isn't a check of firewalls "in the wild"?  My read on it is that
portscanning should be illegal, but only when coupled with concrete
evidence of intent, much in the same way casing is.

--
Be Careful! I have a black belt in sna-fu!

Who is John Galt?  galt@inconnu.isu.edu