Re: [dvd-discuss] Jon Johansen, updates?

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 07:15:58PM +0200, Grzegorz Staniak wrote:
> I got involved recently in a flame war about copyright issues on a
> Polish newsgroup, and one of the arguments against the validity of
> charges brought against Jon Johansen was that since he was arrested and
> questioned in 1999, no further charges were brought against him, there
> was no trial, and no ruling - which seems strange if what he did was
> illegal under Norwegian law. One of the pro-DMCA people questioned this
> argument and referred us to a web page that mentioned some kind of
> prosecution, but it seems it was grounded solely on Jon's own testimony
> in the New York DeCSS case, when he mentioned that he had to appear at
> an attorney's office. I tried to google out any information about
> further developments, but all I found was a lot of discussion and
> opinions, no facts. So, does anybody know what's his current situation
> with respect to the DMCA charges? Have they been dropped since? Is there
> some kind of investigation going on, a trial, whatever?

here's what I know from the decss list, the mailing list I set up when
hell broke lose and where among others, jon was a member:

- jon was questioned (but not arrested) by norwegian police following a
request/hint/whatever from MPAA and/or DVD CCA.

- there was no prosecution, trial or other legal proceedings in norway

- jon testified in NY, but was not a party to the suit

in short: afaik, no charges or legal actions whatsoever have ever been
brought against jon johansen.

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org