Re: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

There are two sides of this issues.

On the network, ISP side, spammers  waste resources and users time.  They
are a type of DoS attack.

On the user side, what is spam to me may not be spam to you just as  in
telemarketing.

So what is spam? Without a good definition, only nonsensical laws can be
written (BTW- our lawmakers need to allow more things to be civil matters.
It's pretty stupid to have RICO be a civil offense and copyright piracy a
criminal one). Aso for ISPs determining what is spam the EFF is quite
right. They shouldn't be. As an example, our corporate network nitwits had
an open relay (ahhhh the good old days of Vax780s running unix....before
the nitwits ). The public access network that my cousin uses would not
deliver email to her from me because of that and kept sending me nasty
notes back about being a spammer. Of course, the automated server of the
service the public network used to identify spammers just sent back notes
telling me I was a bad little spammer and that I was on their list and
that I needed to force our nitwits to fix the relay.

So.... I think the EFF is right on that ISPs should not be identifying
spammers but I should be. Now what I want with spammers is about the same
as with telemarketers "do not send me anything again or else pay a fine to
ME for wasting my time and resources" but I don't want an ISP deciding
that for me. Computers are stupid and only do what they are told so it
should be possible to figure out how to set up antispam protocols from
users and have ISPs be required to enforce them. (OTOH- maybe the internet
should consider doing what the USPS does with bulk mail and put a spam tax
on it)(

Bryan Taylor <bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com>
10/18/01 06:26 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss