Re[2]: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

Friday, October 19, 2001, 12:29:50 AM, you wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 12:28:14AM -0700, carey wrote:
>> Your analogy fails for a key reason:
>>
>> The RBL list does allow you to have the address removed once you've
>> proven  you're no longer an open - mail relay.  I've had my local ISP
>> have this problem a few times.  Also, unlike what theEFF article says,
>> at least in my case, there was identification that the message was
>> blocked by the recipient ISP, notably that the recipient blocked my
>> mail due to the fact that my ISP was an open-relay.
>>
>> The molestor case exists (thank you meghan's law) and unlike RBL
>> doesn't allow for an individual to be removed.

> imagine it did. let's register www.childmolesters.com and put up a list
> there. you'd *still* be pissed off to find your name there and even if
> there's a "send mail _here_ to be removed from this list" link, there
> may still be considerable harm done to you.

Agreed.  My only point was not that you're not pissed off (I was
extremely peeved and promptly got my ISP to fix their issue), but
rather that its a non-changable reality.  The EFFactor article did
have one convincing point (for me) as to why RBL was a lousy way to go
though:  The sheer amount of coercion goign on by MAPS and others to
get ISPs to accept the blackholes as a way to go.  Essentially, if you
don't, you get ostracized or added to the list. :)  Now that *IS*
lousy, unfair and wrong.

> the correct way (I don't think RBL works that way, but if you know
> better, please correct me) would be to send a warning/notice to the
> affected people first, give them time enough to fix the problem, and if
> they don't, *then* put them on the list.

Agreed entirely.  Warning shots should always be fired before a site
gets banned.  IT should not be due to the results of a user finding
out their email was banned.

- -C

- --
Carey Lening