RE: [dvd-discuss] Hang the RIAA in their own noose.

Not quite.  You are not giving permission for that item to be
published -- you are publishing that item.  But any publication
has limits.  The limits of "dvd-discuss" may be rather broad,
and may even shift around from time to time, but they are in
essence defined by the machinery behind the propogation of the
messages.  It is an algorithmic definition, but a definition
all the same.  Where the law has been getting lost is in all
the copies that are made in the execution of that algorithm,
claiming that each (potentiall) requires a separate explicit
act of permission.  Which is where the model view comes into
play.  It is one act of publication to "dvd-discuss".  Any
republication must be negotiated separately.

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!