Re: [dvd-discuss] Hang the RIAA in their own noose.

The law doesn't specify or even restrict the means. Only that "any impairment of the availability of data, a program, a system or
information".  ANY covers a multitude of sins. Performing a DoS attack or flooding the
server with bogus requests is one way but so is putting spyware that
deletes things too. DoS attacks or flooding uses up network resources
getting to the servers or routers. What about allowing them to hack into
an ISP router an not accept packets from users or servers that they deem
guilty of infringement? The way it is written is so open ended as to allow
them permission to do nearly anything and then claim immunity.

The point is that they are usurping the role of the courts here. They want
self help without adjudication by the courts. The wonderful thing they get
is now they don't have the courts saying to them "hey that was fair use.
Suit dismissed and you pay costs for defendant because your lawyers should
know better".

Lars Gaarden <larsg@eurorights.org>
10/16/01 05:42 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss