RE: [dvd-discuss] Two articles

At 12:17 PM 10/16/01 -0400, Noah silva wrote:

> > The RIAA believes that this kind of technological "self-help" against
> online
> > pirates, if done carefully, is legal under current federal law.
>
>I really doubt this, given how strict the FBI and others have helped
>online "hacking" laws to become.  IIRC, it is illegal to:
>
>"connect to or transmit any data to any port of any computer without prior
>permission from the owner".
>
>I assume permission = written permission.

If you're referring to the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, 18 USC 1030, I
don't think that's a correct assumption.  As a criminal statute, the CFAA
requires intent or knowledge, and damage over $5000.  (Damage means "any
impairment to the integrity or availability of data, a program, a system,
or information," so it could include the denial of access to data or the
loss of business from inability to communicate with customers. )

So no, you couldn't be thrown in jail for sending a GET request to
www.yahoo.com, though you might be liable if you intentionally sent
hundreds of thousands of malformed requests to cause a denial of
service.   In the ordinary case, you likely have an implied authorization
to access a machine to view an unprotected website it is serving, at least
if you're not a bot disobeying robot exclusion standards.   The implication
is stronger if the URL has been publicized as widely as http://www.yahoo.com.

>While I think that law is a bit unreasonable, as ICMP pings, etc. fly
>around all the time, and I don't think port scanning should be illegal...

Nor have the courts that have currently examined port scans found them
illegal, so far as I'm aware.

Finally, the Ninth Circuit recently withdrew its decision in Konop, in
which it had held that an airline official's access to a password-protected
union site violated the Wiretap Act or Stored Communications Act.

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@seltzer.com
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School