[dvd-discuss] SCMS ???

> However, with the lack of an L bit in the CD standard, there
> is no way to know if a given CD is an "original" or a "first
> generation."  The result was that all of the CD player
> manufacturers, in order to protect themselves legally, were
> forced to treat ALL CDs as if they were "first generation"
> CDs, even though no "first generation" CDs even EXISTED.
>
> The net effect was that CD players, whenever they play
> back ANY CD, toggle the SCMS permissions at a rapid rate,
> which breaks every known SCMS implementation.
>
> The recording industry got what they wanted -- on one hand
> making the public claim that SCMS permits consumer copying
> of CDs, while in reality, the spec was carefully designed
> to prevent the making of ANY digital recordings from CDs onto
> DATs or MDs, as anyone who actually tried to use the
> equipment for this purpose instantly discovered.

ok I am a bit confused here because:
I own CD players with Digital out.
I own MD players with Digital In.

I can easily make CD --> MD digital copies with the optical cable, and
have done so a great many times. Those copied are marked as
copies. (L=0?)  It seems to me that the CD player must be sending
(Copyright, origional) bits, and the MD player is saving (copyright,
copy).

What seems wrong to me is that ALL CDs are sent as (Copyright,
Origional).  They assume you don't own the copyright.  If I burn my own
music onto a CD-R and copy it, it works the same.  Since I OWN it, I
should be able to make copies from the MD if I really wanted to.

 -- noah