Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Noah silva wrote:
> > Is there any reason we couldn't do this with CDs?
>
> I don't see why not, but I would definatly seek a lawyor previous to
> opening the store.  Also, you would need a way to advertize it being a
> rental place, but without actually calling it that enough to get in
> trouble (assuming you could for renting them).

I figure we'd just call the place CD Return or Replay Music or
something.  People'd get it.

> > Oh, man, I'm going to make a mint.  I especially like the idea of selling
> > MD equipment at the same location.
>
> seriously, I don't know about equipment, but they sell MD disks,
> lables, etc. at all the CD rental places in Japan.  Blank CD-Rs might
> go over better here.

I'd like to encourage MDs.  CD-Rs are incredibly wasteful.f

> > And we can sell Midiman CO3 digital converters for the various
> > input/output formats (oh, and it'll strip SCMS if you need it to).
>
> strip SCMS - isn't that circumvention?

Oh, the CO3 is a piece of "professional" equipment.  That means it costs
more.

> Honestly.. I don't get SCMS because if you have an MD deck with
> digital out, it is decompressed anyhow, so I wouldn't want it.  I'd
> rather go back to the CD and get the origional form.

The CD has SCMS as well.

> dr. noah's CD rental shop and internet cafe.  (anyone here ever been
> to "easy everything" ?)

I don't think there's much of a future in the "internet cafe", though I'd
love to start one with Sun Microsystems Sunrays.  Cheap and cool.

There's a place up the street that's a video rental - convenience store -
internet cafe - laundromat.

But this is getting totally off-topic.
J.
--