Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, D. C. Sessions wrote:
> There's already case law establishing that used CD sales are legal. So
> all the shop needs to do is sell the CD, and accept returns for
> somewhat less than they sell for.  Deposit and rental all taken care
> of at once.

There's a shop nearby that does this with videos.  You pay a high-ish
price and you get MOST of it back if you return it within a week.

He decreases the cost every time or every week or something until it's
down to a good "used" price (and he's surely made his money back).

The nice thing is that he just gives you a receipt with a date on it and
he doesn't have to worry about keeping track of rental accounts or
anything.  (And considering the type of video that is his stock-in-trade,
the fewer databases, the better... if you catch my meaning.)

Is there any reason we couldn't do this with CDs?

Oh, man, I'm going to make a mint.  I especially like the idea of selling
MD equipment at the same location.

And we can sell Midiman CO3 digital converters for the various
input/output formats (oh, and it'll strip SCMS if you need it to).

Who's with me?
J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin