Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

On 09/27/01 at 16:16, 'twas brillig and Noah silva scrobe:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Tom wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 01:43:45PM -0400, Noah silva wrote:
> > > During my stay in Japan, I noticed the prevelence of "Tsutaya", and other
> > > CD rental chains.  What do you think would happen to me if I tried to open
> > > up a CD rental shop here?  I thought so.  Why, how is it different from a
> > > video rental shop.
> >
> > over here in germany, many video rental shops are also in the cd and/or
> > computer games rental business.
> >

> > > anyone want to invest in dr.noah's CD rental shop?
> >
> > you telling me there isn't anything like that in the US today? if so
> > then yes, you have an investor.
>
> We have Blockbuster Video, which rents VHS tapes, DVD movies, and video
> games.  There are plenty of other video rental places.  I have never seen
> a CD or audio ape rental store.  I have lived in NC, PA and FL.  I
> regularly visit NY, and have also visited OH, TX, MA, CT, and other
> states.  I have never seen, or even _heard_ of a CD store here.  (or in
> Canada).  In fact, the concept never even occured to me until I started
> visiting Japan, and they are everywhere, almost as widespread as "love
> hotels".
>
> I thought about importing the business model here several times, but I
> wonder how the wonderful record companies would react.

	Preemptively: 17USC109(b)(1)(A).

	(As I see Stephen L. Johnson noted in another post.)

	Has anyone ever challenged that provision, using perhaps the
FSDoctrine?

		Ole
--
Ole Craig * olc@cs.umass.edu * UNIX; postmaster, news, web; SGI martyr *
CS Computing Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/> for public key

perl -e 'print$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'