Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Tom wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 01:43:45PM -0400, Noah silva wrote:
> > During my stay in Japan, I noticed the prevelence of "Tsutaya", and other
> > CD rental chains.  What do you think would happen to me if I tried to open
> > up a CD rental shop here?  I thought so.  Why, how is it different from a
> > video rental shop.
>
> over here in germany, many video rental shops are also in the cd and/or
> computer games rental business.
>

> > anyone want to invest in dr.noah's CD rental shop?
>
> you telling me there isn't anything like that in the US today? if so
> then yes, you have an investor.

We have Blockbuster Video, which rents VHS tapes, DVD movies, and video
games.  There are plenty of other video rental places.  I have never seen
a CD or audio ape rental store.  I have lived in NC, PA and FL.  I
regularly visit NY, and have also visited OH, TX, MA, CT, and other
states.  I have never seen, or even _heard_ of a CD store here.  (or in
Canada).  In fact, the concept never even occured to me until I started
visiting Japan, and they are everywhere, almost as widespread as "love
hotels".

I thought about importing the business model here several times, but I
wonder how the wonderful record companies would react.

 -- noah silva