Re: [dvd-discuss] ClearChannel Plays It Safe

--- Jeme A Brelin <jeme@brelin.net> wrote:

> With power comes responsibility.

But with responsibility does not come an obligation to use your resources to
communicate messages you don't want to communicate. A private entitiy, such as
a radio station has no legal or moral obligation to communicate a message to
your liking. In fact, just the opposite, they have the right not to.

> I agree that the FCC (or, more rightly, the Telecommunications Act) gave
> these private corporations the power, but they are not carrying the
> responsibility.
>
> When someone has power over what plays and what does not across the board
> (rather than on one station in a market with lots of stations run with
> diverse interests), then that someone is capable of censorship in their
> personal choices.

If by "power" you mean discretion, then so what. I don't agree that this is
censorship at all. Censorship is the use of governement force (physical force)
to punish or prevent speech.

> Censorship: It's not just for governments anymore.

Censorship by private entitites is more accurately called "freedom of speech
and press". If you want to call it censorship, then you censor your own email
against messages you disagree with. I bet you don't allow political candidates
you disagree with to put up signs in your yard -- that's censorship. I want to
paint your front door yellow and purple to express my support of the people of
Poland. You are censoring me by not allowing me to do this.