Re: [dvd-discuss] ClearChannel Plays It Safe

On Tuesday, September 18, 2001, at 11:41 AM, Richard Hartman wrote:
>   What are you
> going to do, pass "equal time" legislation so that every
> song must be played once before you can ever repeat one?

Imagine a government monopoly over radio stations. Imagine, further,
that the top admins of this monopoly have, for political/graft reasons,
neglected a great many artists, and that these neglected artists have
asked Congress to solve the problem.

Essentially, there are two solutions to the problem--
1) pass a law demanding equal time
2) allow competition in the radio market.

The first solution is a bit heavy handed, but nonetheless, it is
expeditious, appears fair, and would probably eliminate  that one
specific form of political favoritism-- and thus the most likely.

2) The second solution, deregulation, is fraught with peril, and may not
bring about the desired result. After all, consolidation does occur, and
the influence of money on the radio industry is rather corrosive.

There are limited slots in the radio spectrum, and in many markets,
Clear channel has bought most of them. I think we agree that solution
No. 2 depends most heavily on the free market and competition-- but
without such competition, a  corporation such as Clear Channel can
exercise just as much power as the state owned/operated radio monopoly...

Jeremy