Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: Sen. Hollings plans tointroduceDMCAsequel : The SSSCA

Scott A Crosby wrote:

> To bring us even peripherally on topic, should the EFF have
> countersued the RIAA over Felton? Self-defense doesn't involve
> agression right? So hasn't EFF made a moral mistake in going on the
> offense?

EFF bombing RIAA would be a moral mistake.

If the US starts to indiscriminately kill people, they will just
produce more hate. Hate, that in turn will produce more Bin Ladens
(or rather, more young suicidal people that leaders like Laden can
use to perform these kinds of attacks).

Terrorists will be unable to perform these attacks unless there are
people out there that have a hatred so strong that they are willing
to die for the cause. If you can remove that hate, you deny them
the ammunition they need.

> Yes, I think my government may make somewhat of a mistake. Our main
> goal should not be to attack or retaliate, but merely to obtain those
> responsible, their supporters and their backers, and try them. If
> those parties are protected by signifigant resources, such that it
> does take a war to obtain them, then so be it, but only if necessary.

My fear is that this might produce an endless bad circle. More hate,
more fear, more bombings. This circle might also destroy much of what
we in the western society value - heavy monitoring and intrusion of
privacy, restrictions on free speech, you name it.

By playing on their level, we become them.

> IE, IMHO, this should be a police action, not a military action.

I agree.

> But, realistically, I think that our gov't will, unfortunately, do the
> military action thing, I just hope that it is as limited an extent as
> possible. Lobbing a few bombs on a war-torn country thats practically
> in the stone age is just sad.

That is my fear also.

> If anyone else goes around smugly saying that we, at some level,
> deserved what happened, I will procmail you so I don't have to hear
> any more shit.

Innocent people never, ever, deserve to be blown up. I'm completely
unable to describe how I felt when I saw the twin towers collapse.

However, these attacks show that there are people out there willing to
die to hurt the USA. In order to stop these atrocities from happening
in the future, you have to understand how this hate appeared.

change the world.  Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead.