[dvd-discuss] Ignore the SSSCA.

[I am probably repeating myself here, but I want to make this quite clear,
so bear with me.  Reply, of course, if you feel you must.]

Seriously.

We all know about the evils of the Telecommunications Act of 1996.  But at
the time, we were too busy trying to take down the most egregious portion
of that act; the so-called Communications Decency Act.  I personally
believe that they CDA was appended to the Telecom act as a diversionary
tactic to make communications policy activists fight the "winnable" battle
that the media industry didn't care to win.  Then we could pat ourselves
on our backs and everyone would feel like we'd been thrown our bone and
the real crime could take place right under our noses.

Activists are so downtrodden from loss after political loss that any
victory feels like cause for celebration and rest.  Oftentimes these
"victories" are mere compromises that still do harm, but "less
harm".  It's a net loss, but it FEELS like a victory.

There is a strong anti-DMCA momentum right now.  This kind of momentum is
rarely seen outside of hardcore activist circles.  The industries is
scared to death of these new democratic movements (see Seattle, Quebec
City, Genoa... DC next month).  But the population is largely
depoliticized and can only be galvanized into action for maybe one issue
at a time and only for a short period.  We have the momentum right now to
bring down the DMCA in public opinion.  If we shift gears now, we'll lose
that momentum... or worse.

If we strike down the SSSCA before it is passed, it will be a false and
hollow victory because the DMCA will still stand and the media will
present it as a victory and the people will feel that we have been
placated.  Some of us may actually feel placated ourselves.  Mostly, we'll
have exhausted our resources, called in our favors, and maybe put
ourselves in debt (debt of favor or money or time or whatever).

Understand that defeating the DMCA is a win in the battle against the
SSSCA.  If we get this law overturned, that will send the message to
Congress and the Courts that the people will not abide such a law.  Our
anti-DMCA arguments work quite well as anti-SSSCA arguments and making
those arguments public wins both ends.

I truly believe that the SSSCA is a tactic to divert our energies and make
us feel like the DMCA is a compromise.  It's a "See?  Could be worse!"
measure.

Don't fall for the bait.

Fight the DMCA.

Free Dmitry and the rest will follow.