Re: [dvd-discuss] http://www.thestandard.com/article/0,1902,28875 ,00.html

Andrea.Foster@chronicle.com wrote:

> Richard:
>
> I believe Pouliot is talking about a Copyright Office report, which the
> Chronicle of HIgher Education wrote about.
> See URL below. It also has link to actual report.
>
> http://chronicle.com/free/2001/08/2001083101t.htm

Highlight of the chronicle article... from the libraries point-of-view

"They miss real evidence," he said.  "The report is already outdated,
and it just came out."

being one of the commenters the report is based on, the LOC had to have
intentionally dismissed the real and present danger of CPSA and other
tethering schemes versus fair use and first sale.  With the broad
interpretation of the courts in Corely and the FBI in Sklyarov, this
report has it's head so firmly in the sand it makes the three monkey
{hear|see|speak} no evil appear as sages and oracles.

My first mgr out of college had a great phrase -- "as far sighted as an
astigmatic mole" -- which applies.  It seem the LOC WANTED to find the
the DMCA wasn't causing issues and ignoring the grass roots comments as
a bunch of disgruntled doomsayers.

ugh!

.002