Re: [dvd-discuss] indictment

> In http://cryptome.org/dmitry-indict.htm we have
>
> > b. On or about June 26, 2001, the defendants caused a
>                                                ^^^^^^^
> > purchaser in San Jose, California to send
> > a payment of approximately $99 to RegNow; and
>
> Ok, how on earth could the defendents have "caused"
> someone to send them money?

Quite.

Interesting to me however is the fact that RegNow (a company I assume is
located in the 'States and is owned and run by U.S citizens) seems to me to
be the only party who might (arguably) be deemed to be "trafficing
in circumvention devices" in this whole sorry case.

Sklyarov is a foreign national who is an employee of a foreign company who
manufacture the offending goods legally outside the U.S. But U.S. law does
not extend to Moscow, and he should (by international conventions, surely?) be
untouchable unless he personally sells a copy of the software on U.S soil.
I'm not aware that he did this, or is accused of doing it.

But then there's RegNow who 'import' the offending item and sell it openly
in the U.S and they're not apparently being touched.

What goes?

--

Steve Hosgood                               |
steve@caederus.com                          | "A good plan today is better