From: juergen + barbara [mailto:jmhoraze@compuserve.com]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 12:48 PM
To: dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject: RE: [dvd-discuss] Latest RIAA Tactic- Impersonating a Police Officer

... not quite, police cannot at will track cars, only with court order. USA with current hype and paranoia is quite worse: think Echelon, where there is continuously spying, recording of each information sent over landlines and airwaves, (on occasion helping the USA industry with such gathered information); now, for each each traveler the complete itinerary and credit card statements are collected and reviewed to help catch (unsuspecting) terrorists; etc.

RE Microsoft -- but much worse are other companies installing "spyware" or "adware" traps, frequently reporting to their host the web sites you were visiting along with other personal information, so to bring you the pop-up ads that fit to your profile, perhaps even routing your web access to the one of a competitor, etc.  Though not Viruses per say, these buggers are also slowing down your PC and can "contribute" to frequent crashes!

Go to http://www.xp-antispy.org/ to review and reset any spy options in Windows XP, Media Player, etc.
Go to http://www.lavasoft.de/ for, say, freeware of "Ad Aware" program, to remove the

Enjoy,
    jm.