Re: [dvd-discuss] Gedanken Experiment -Unix and Norton

Joshua Stratton wrote:

> I'm not sure that affording protection for trade secrets in source is
> necessary. If a patent happens to disclose a trade secret that isn't
> covered by the patent, it's out there. And you may not be able to get the
> patent without that disclosure.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer a fairly stringent source deposit requirement for
> copyrights on software -- helping get the software into the public domain
> effectively (eventually), even though this might mean that you lose your
> trade secrets.

Actually by allowing inventor to patent things that currently only exist
as trade secrets I hope to:

(1) Remove barriers to an "immediate" publication requirement for the
source works of mechanical/automated (those without creative input)
derived works

(2) Get these trade secrets into public knowledge (though licensed for
twenty years) and then into the PD

Both of these are far better than a "well in 95 years we'll be able to
inspect obsolete technology".

.002