Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: [dvd-discuss digest 2003] V #237

On 9 Jul 2003 at 14:10, John Zulauf wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:10:20 -0600
From:           	"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: [dvd-discuss digest 2003] V #237

> Rares Marian wrote:
> >
> > >On 8 Jul 2003 at 11:29, John Zulauf wrote:
>
> Wrong attribution:
>
> should be
>
> > microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:
> > >I think it was Jessica Litman who wrote that the problem with copyright now
> > >is that there is an industry of obsolete people who still have BMWs that they
> > >want to keep and don't want to take up the task of throwing away all that
> > >they learned in school and practice and starting from scratch.
>

> > That is such a cop-out.
>
> BTW which is a cop-out.  I see two.  (1) the cop-out of the status quo
> (i.e. those who don't want to relearn) and (2) the cop-out of using
> stereo-typing and ad hominem attack against "obsolete people who still
> have BMWs" using an "eat the rich, they're just lazy" argument to attack
> a group that holds a view one wishes to discredit.
>
> Both are cop-outs, to which particular cop-out did you object?

As for #2. You are quite right that it is improper to use BMWs as a stereotype
in a paraphrase  and so I apologize to reader BMW owners (and Prof. Litman...if
she reads this) ...but after learning how to change the oil in her BMW, a
friends fiance said "that's what I pay $60 for at the dealer?" hehe.....So
replace "BMWs" with "those who have achieved considerable material wealth by
using skills that are no longer required when changing technology renders them
obsolete yet desire that society protect their skills because they have
achieved considerable material wealth using them and do not wish to learn
others because it would cut into their "quality time"  and strive that their
personal status quo is extended to societal status quo...historical examples of
this would include blacksmiths, the struggle of Swift vs the Cattle Car
RailRoad Barons, others available upon request"