Re: [dvd-discuss] Internet movies loses in Hawaii

On 28 Jun 2003 at 11:57, Marcia Wilbur wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:57:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	Marcia Wilbur <aicra@well.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	[dvd-discuss] Internet movies loses in Hawaii

> Mike Rossi of InternetMovies.com lost in HI court against the MPAA.

Extracted Fronm

> http://www.entlawdigest.com/story.cfm?storyID=2774

<snip>
    US Magistrate Judge Barry M. Kurren noted that the tortious interference
claims required a showing that the MPAA acted “without justification.” The
judge said that here the MPAA had acted within its rights
  in sending a notice to FlexNet.

Kurren ruled that there was no provision in the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act (DMCA) that required a copyright holder to conduct an investigation to
establish actual infringement prior to sending a notice to an ISP. “Rather, the
DMCA only requires a copyright holder to form a good faith belief of an
alleged or ‘claimed’ infringement prior to sending an ISP a notice.” The judge
found that there was little question that the statements on the plaintiff’s
home page “strongly suggest, if not expressly state, that  movies were
available for downloading from the site.” Accordingly, the judge found that the
MPAA had more than a sufficient basis to form the required good faith belief
that InternetMovies.com was engaged in  copyright infringement.
        Kurren ruled that since the MPAA was justified in sending the notices
to the ISP, the plaintiff cannot show tortious interference and those counts
must be dismissed.
<snip>

I think the only part of the Judges logic I can fault is the "good faith
belief". .....<wavy screen>

Perry Mason - "So you saw claims that movies could be downloaded?"
Jack Valenti - "Yes I did and I directed our legal staff to take actions
accordingly"
PM - "Did you actually visit their website?"
JV - "yes I did"
PM - "you have a computer in your office don't you"
JV - "yes I do"
PM- "when did you get it?"
JV "just last month?"
PM- "Is this your first one?"
JV -"No I've had several"
PM-"three or four?"
JV-"yes"
PM - "So you are aware how to use all the periperals such as the keyboard,
speakers, mouse"
JV - 'yes"
PM- "and you know how to use the standard software I assume such as a word
processor, netscape internet browser, email"
JV - "I use Internet Explorer"
PM-"when you use Internet Explorer, how fast does it load?"
JV - "I don't understand"
PM-"well when you click on a graphics image at a website, how long does it take
for it to come up? When you click on a video clip, how long does it take for ti
to start running'
JV-"seconds! We have high speed internet access at the MPAA!"
PM-"So tell the court Mr Valenti, how you can claim to have made a good faith
belief when you are clearly computer literate enough to use a mouse, know how
to click that mouse on images or videos using Internet Explorer and have a
hight speed line to actually download and verify that copyrighted material
acutally is present?"
JV- "ahhhhh...ohhhh"
PM - "I would suggest to the court that by not making that final effort that
your easily could have done that you deliberately did not verify the claims of
copyright infringement and that you acted in bad faith.

< unwavy screen>

The judge split hairs here. The investigation was trivial and would have taken
far less time than this court case did. As such I dispute the good faith claim
and had he been more computer literate would have too.