Re: [dvd-discuss] Disney Does Self Destructing DVDs

'twas brillig when Richard Hartman scrobe:
>  I don't know that a chemical process qualifies as a Technical
> Protection Measure under the DMCA.

I think it's pretty clear that it does not qualify. Look at the statute.
A TPM "'effectively controls access to a work' if the measure, in the
ordinary course of its operation, requires the application of
information, or a process or a treatment, with the authority of the
copyright owner, to gain access to the work"

The self-erasing DVD does not require the application of information or
a process to accomplish its self-erasing function. All it requires is
exposure to the air.

Roy Murphy       \ CSpice: A Mailing List for Clergy Spouses
murphy@panix.com \  http://www.panix.com/~murphy/CSpice.html