Re: [dvd-discuss] Petition for rational copyright law

"Michael A Rolenz" <Michael.A.Rolenz@aero.org> wrote:
> But what is simpler? Affixing a copyright notice and a date on the work
> with the universal understanding that after N years the work is in the
> public domain or a system where every work requires a search. BTW-the
> search may be a simple as going to www.copyright.gov but must also be
> available in other forms as well.

There is a slightly better system. You affix the copyright notice, but in
addition to stating the date it was published YOU STATE THE DATE IT EXPIRES.

This stops any future arguments and rules-changes being applied retroactively,
and shows that the author did agree to to the terms in force at the time
of publication, vis that it enters P.D at some specified point in the future.

Walt Disney, after all, did accept that Mickey Mouse would enter P.D in 1978
when he published Steamboat Willie in 1928. If it had said so in the credits,
we'd all be a lot happier now.

P.S:
I didn't invent this idea. Just reminding y'all!

--

Steve Hosgood                               |
steve@caederus.com                          | "A good plan today is better