Re: [dvd-discuss] Petition for rational copyright law

consider the sheer scope of it. There are hundreds of thousands of books published each year. Each one of those gets copyright protection. Every picture, every email, every piece of doggeral, everything! There are millions of things that CAN be copyrighted each year.  But according to our universal copyright law the copyright exists whether or not I register it. There are already millions of works already copyrighted without the benefit of having numbers attached to them.

But what is simpler? Affixing a copyright notice and a date on the work with the universal understanding that after N years the work is in the public domain or a system where every work requires a search. BTW-the search may be a simple as going to www.copyright.gov but must also be available in other forms as well.

The basic problem that the Berne Convention, WIPO and now the US Legislature did not address all the times it has expanded the scope, duration, and complexity of copyright is HOW IS THIS NOW TO BE ADMINISTERED? When nothing was copyrighted unless registered, it was simple. Now that everything is copyrighted regardless they didn't change manner that copyright is administered.

Noah silva <nsilva@atari-source.com>

06/05/2003 06:48 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss