Re: [dvd-discuss]DMCA Excemption Hearings at UCLA Day 1 Part n of N

On 14 May 2003 at 21:54, James S. Tyre wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 14 May 2003 21:54:36 -0700
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
From:           	"James S. Tyre" <jstyre@jstyre.com>
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss]DMCA Excemption Hearings at UCLA Day 1 Part n
 	of N

> At 08:55 PM 5/14/2003 -0700, microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> >Session 3
> >
> >I will confess that his is one where I need to organize my notes and
> >thoughts.
> >I had a lot of interruptions while watching this.
>

> >doubtless I may add more later but here's a quick summary albeit dinnerless
> >one...
>

> In defense of Mike, he really wasn't planning on staying for the third
> panel,

Actually it was more interesting than I expected. but the RIAA attorney
was clearly second string..I couldn't help wonder what was used today.
I doubt that the RIAA attorney realized he was just cannon fodder...
.still I loved Daved Carson's discussion on evidence with him...Looking at the
agenda I suspect the
MPAA, RIAA etc will or rather reserved..their big guns for today even if they
are just popguns..

What was evident is that there needs to be more interchange between legal and
technical communities on these matters. When the question was asked regarding
how to fix broken copy protections I wanted to jump up and say "Ok...if in
hardware, then I get my scope, borrow a logic analyzer and RE the chips..if if
software..then I'm going to run the drivers in a symbolic debugger and watch
until they fail and then find what went wrong...that's muach easier....then I
patch the software..".."WHAT violate the santity of intellectual
property...".."sure its easy...replace XXX with YYY at location ZZZ do until
finished...."..Is that hard...no piece of cake....my scope I bought at the TRW
swapmeet for $50..my (scalar)network analyzer cost $100 but I can't get the
cables or manual for it..I can download a hex editor for free..."
The whole notion of technology is a bugber but to those that do not see it as a
bugbear they are frightened.

>it's just that I, erm, coerced him into staying so that he could
> give me a ride home.  '-)
>
> (Thanks again, Mike.)

You're welcome...although I had forgotten how tough it is getting out of Culver
City at rush hour...but then the LA rush hour parking lot is simply that...a
few minutes really doesn't matter one way or another...from the Northside the
El Segundo jam looks even wierder than it does from the southside...
You're welcome