Re: [dvd-discuss] Illegal tactics funded by Anti-piracy advocates

Well...look at all the people that are screaming "what do you mean they can listen to my wireless network?!!!!" It may be a violation of privacy acts but if it does happen does the denial or destruction of service in the pursuit of preserving intellectual property outside the court system "trump" basic human rights? Now I know WIPO believes that it does in the case of developing nations but what of so called developed nations? The software may target file sharing but what if they hit machines that are file sharing but not violating the holy intellectual property? Since some hospitals put in "honey pots" of  celebrity records to test if their privacy policies actually are being followed by their employees, the case that Arnold proposes need not be so far fetched.

Now it believe it would be criminally negligant to tie a computer doing life threatening operations onto the internet (afterall they were doing this before the internet so why does EVERYTHING have to be tied to the internet...what about a good old fashioned twisted wire pair) but what of other cases?

As Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. once remarked-if you allow the police to go outside the law, then all you have done is create a class of super criminals. Who needs the police at that point? The idea of changing the law so that one class of citizens is empowered to go outside the court system is even more bizarre.

Jeremy Erwin <jerwin@ponymail.com>

05/07/2003 02:08 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss