Re: [dvd-discuss] Illegal tactics funded by Anti-piracy advocates

microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:

> So what's the gist?

I think it is interesting that this article points out that the proposed
tactics have "varying degrees" of legality.  There was a time when
record companies would never have risked the negative PR that comes from
making criminals out of one's core constituent base.  But in seeking to
find blame for lack of record sales, they are now considering punitive
measures, without much regard for whether these measures violate the
privacy of computer users and also the law.

I believe this represents an alarming response to the general trend of
the laws favoring corporations rather than individual citizens.  It
would seem that there is relatively little concern for whether these
measures are illegal or not.

Particularly interesting to me was the idea that the record companies
are supporting software that sabatoges the internet connections of those
who
choose to download software from peer-to-peer networks.  I wonder if
this will eventually lead to a test case in which a music label is sued
for supporting software that results in costly corporate downtime.  I
once supported a client who told me that one minute of downtime would
cost his firm $500,000,000.  At that rate, causing downtime could be
very expensive for the record companies who support software that can be
proven to have caused some downtime.

Regards,

Glendon Gross