Re: [dvd-discuss] SCC, Lexmark, and copyright versusreverse-engineering

On 1 Apr 2003 at 8:58, John Zulauf wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 01 Apr 2003 08:58:32 -0700
From:           	"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] SCC, Lexmark, and copyright
	versusreverse-engineering

> I thought Phoenix did the reverse engineering and they were very careful
> about the clean room.  One team wrote a reference book about what they
> discovered from their RE efforts.  The other team implemented from that
> reference.  Nobody that had seen IBM PC BIOS code was allowed on the
> development team.
>
> SCC did an incomplete RE job (not that I'm arguing a better one could
> have been done), and failed to realize (apparently) that the byte string
> passed from cartridge to printer was in fact code.

Here's the question- "How is one to know?". To be physically real something
must be observable. It must appear in some objective fashion to all observers.
How can one know if it is in fact code if it is some language that is unknown?
How can one verify that the code is copyrighted if one can't SEE it. How can
oneknow that the language isnt' just a bunch of bits? Maybe the defense is WHAT
could SCC have inferred from what they saw and when did Lexmark do what they
did?