Re: [dvd-discuss] SCC, Lexmark, and copyrightversusreverse-engineering

microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:

> <DA on>
>  And if Lexmark has made RE so much more difficult, then they are entitled to
> their competitive advantage. That's the capitalist system at work.
> <DA off>

But isn't that *exactly* why we have copyright abuse and anti-trust?
Let Lexmark contend that they are selling a software product with each
printer cartridge.

The use of copyright to defend rights and markets *outside* the market
for the copyright work itself is copyright abuse.  Also, the requirement
to buy a copy of an copyrighted work in order to buy ink sounds like an
illegal tying to me -- especially since it grants the ink seller a
monopoly.

Out of the frying, into the fire.

<cynical>If only the cooks weren't off on vacation.</cynical>

.002