RE: [dvd-discuss]Lexmark Decision

I would love to see a transcript of the testimony to see just what the two expert witnesses actually did say rather than the judge's interpretations. The copyright office testified that they did believe that there was sufficient creativity in the code to grant the copyright. (something I might dispute and would like to see the code). SCC copied the code believing that it was just a password rather than an actual program but the judge ruled otherwise and went to great pains to point out that SCC could have created code with similar functionality and also send the authentication sequence to cause the printer to download and use the SCC code.. If the judge is correct and that there are alternatives that SCC could have used, then maybe the next open source project should be providing free software to fake out Lexmark printers into thinking they have a Lexmark cartridge.

What is also disturbing is that the authentication sequence really seems to have only two purposes. The first is to verify that the program being loaded from the cartridge has not been corrupted which is legitimate.(exercise for the alert reader. Assume it is because of some damage due to ESD, Xrays, or strong EM fields. what rights do the consumer now have?). The second is to see that one uses only Lexmark cartridges which is not legitimate.

BTW- Lexmark's "Prebate" program smacks of a tying arrangment. The question is the legality of it. From
http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/public/guidelines/ipguide.htm#t53

"The Agencies would be likely to challenge a tying arrangement if: (1) the seller has market power in the tying product (2) the arrangement has an adverse effect on competition in the relevant market for the tied product, and (3) efficiency justifications for the arrangement do not outweigh the anticompetitive  effects. The Agencies will not presume that a patent, copyright, or trade secret necessarily confers market power upon its owner."

(1) Lexmark owns a major share of the market.
(2) Obvious
(3) What efficiency is there? Consumers get a discount to always use Lexmark cartridges

"Richard Hartman" <hartman@onetouch.com>

03/24/2003 08:34 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss