RE: [dvd-discuss] clean flicks and moral rights

On 31 Jan 2003 at 9:18, Richard Hartman wrote:

Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss] clean flicks and moral rights
Date sent:      	Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:18:53 -0800
From:           	"Richard Hartman" <hartman@onetouch.com>
To:             	<dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>

> Interesting.  The summary says outright that the courts
> do not recognize "moral rights" per se but should nonetheless
> attempt to accomodate them if they can find justification
> to do so in the actual legalities (in this case, the _legal_
> violation was a breach of contract).
>
> That is, of course, my own condensation of the summary.  If
> one of you legal types could confirm or deny my reading of
> this I would appreciate it.

I didn't quite get that reading the decision. They don't recognize it yet do
recognize that there is a "trademark" aspect to it. If by editing they alter
the product to the point that it is unmarketable, then there are
damages...remember the rumors about L.B.Mayer altering John Gilbert's voice
when talkies came in to damage his appeal at the box office